p2: 2


Digital
My first typeface is a foray into digital replica. It is heavily inspired by vintage video games, 8-bit arcade style, and minimalistic retro digital typefaces before beautiful design was standard among home computers. Keywords: digital, analog, 8-bit, square

Futuristic
My next typeface was inspired by futuristic-looking type. My Life as a Teenage Robot kind of embodies the aesthetic I was going for. It's futuristic but heavily stylized to the point where it could also be used to portray a retro vibe. Keywords: curved, narrow, futuristic


Calligraphic
My next attempt was inspired by the New York Times font, with varying stroke widths mimicking calligraphy. Calligraphy is characterized by it's alternating of thick and thin strokes. One method of calligraphy is making thick downward strokes and thin upward strokes. There are no hand strokes in typeface creation so I tried to mimic it with the stupid thick bricks in fontstruct and it did not really come across at this point in my remedial understanding of this program. 
Keywords: calligraphic, angular, bold

 Tattoo
Tattoo font is very interesting to me as it has elements of handwriting yet it still has a unified style over the hundreds of thousands of artists who have used lettering in their tattoos. I tried to mimic the traditional Sailor Jerry tattoo typeface but in a more polished manner.
Keywords: Tattoo, caligraphic, hand-drawn, serif
Hazard
This font was my "fun" font, where I tried to make an unconventional method come across as legible. Not super successful. With some refinement I believe I could improve upon it but the program makes it difficult and demands a high level of detail to create a legible font. Regardless, it was inspired by caution tape. It shows how negative space can create a legible letter form just like positive space can.
Keywords: negative space, caution, bold





No comments:

Post a Comment